Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Priority by Proximity

So, last night was a blast. I went and worked out. Blitzed it so that I could have time to shower then meet Ginger at Starbucks. As I was turning left into the Starbucks lot, I see Ginger turning in before me; perfect timing. I had a great time just getting to talk and chill. I got an outstanding video that I think might be the first video linked in the blog.

Ta-da.
Then, as if the afternoon couldn't get any better, I met up with Andrew and two of his friends from high school. We went down to Apres Diem and had a few drinks and just hung out. Then, him and I went back to his house and watched late night TV like we always do and just talked and enjoyed company. So I did not get asleep until 3:30ish but it was well worth it.

This night got me thinking about my priorities and where people fall on them. I feel like this might be one of the few things in my life that has the balance where I'd like it. In the past I have placed the Priority of my friends by their Proximity to me. A thought that seems so low-level, immature, or basic. Being able to think about the future and contemplate how actions now will effect you and your environment later is one of the things that separate us as humans. Sadly we slip back into this line of thought so easily: shooting up for the short time escape and high, sleeping with that person for the short term emotional fulfillment, or lying to build yourself up into a huge shadow of a person. Look beyond that immediate, so called, "gain" to the bigger purpose. Now I have people that are great friends and they are good not only for fun nights but also for mental and emotional sanity. No matter how far away these people are from me in distance, they are still a priority over nearly everything that I encounter in my day to day exploration of this world.

No comments: