Thursday, May 24, 2007

Birthday days

So, my birthday has been great. I had a great night out with Phillip, Melissa, and Andy. Andy and I had a great talk and time. It is so great to have him back. After that late night, I slept so well. Got up early, went to yoga/Tai-Chi class, renewed my license to a class C and with no stupid "under 21" box, bought a book I have been wanting for a long time, ate at J. Christopher's, researched a charity to give my car to, then the fun began. I went and picked up my friend Blair at her house. She looked stunning. I love her new hair cut.

See?

Then we went to the Olive Garden and got soup, salad, pasta, and a glass of wine. After we leave there, we drive downtown to the Woodruff Arts Center. I was afraid that I forgot to print out a parking pass or something that I needed but we pull up and I say "I already paid for parking". The parking lot attendant, in his black suit with white bow tie, asks "What is your last name sir?" After I tell him, he looks through the list and then says, "Go on in." I felt so 'expected'.

We decided to dress down because she was feeling under the weather and I was feeling like a bum. There were still people more dressed down that we were and that made us both feel better. Getting the tickets from the box office was a breeze and we sit down in our great seats. Far enough back to let the acoustics of the building do it's work and get the sound of all of the instruments to our ears at the same time. They are practicing around individually and it is nearly chaos. The first chair violin walks out and the room goes silent. She engages her violin and this amazing sound comes out and then the chaos all connects and every musician is playing the same note. The conductor walks out and gets a warm and swelling welcome.

I wish I had the mental strength to continue in detail but the first few movements they played were of Beethoven and were also incredible. I could not stop smiling and was on the edge of my seat the entire time. I never knew my ears could hear something so dynamic and beautiful. It was like the highest quality recording ever. So perfect, without fault, deep, rich, filling, soul shaking. I must go back when there is another demonstration of a master because I am in love with goosebumps.

The way back we just rode with the sunroof and all the windows open on the highway. There were a few moments where I felt like I wasn't there but in the future. It was weird but I highly enjoyed spending time with Blair even if it was in silence in a car with the wind dampening everything but our night. Who better to share an experience like this with than a best friend?

In 7 hours I leave for the beach. Enjoy the down time of the blog because it will come back with a vengeance on Tuesday.

No comments: