Monday, December 31, 2007

Finishing the Year Strong

This is the first post from my new apartment. Actually this is the first post ever from my place of residence. I have until now been at a friend's place or gotten into the office early just to be able to write. So in honor of that and to end the year strong I have five quick thoughts that have been stirring in my head.

No movement without resistance? The TV show 'The Magic School Bus' had an episode that got me excited about physics at an early age. This episode had the kids and the bus in a 'frictionless' pinball machine bouncing around indefinitely. Scary and exciting all at the same time.... Alright back to the present.
In the world though, there is no movement without friction. [Caveat: When certain things get near absolute zero the electrons in them technically 'blur' into the Bose-Einstein state causing electricity to travel through with no friction. But this is 4.3 degrees Celsius or something above absolute zero. A extremely rare and highly unlikely state.] Well, I should say, "In the world though, nearly everything that moves causes friction."
Why then do we get so discouraged when we attempt to change something in our life (make a 'move') and feel friction? What do we expect; to glide along into it effortlessly? Friction is a natural reaction to change. Do not be discouraged or surprised when it happens. Continue on. This does be the question though. Where do we get this expectation of automatic occurrence?

Attacking infinites. Have you heard the argument that 'it always gets worse before it gets better'? Well as I perfectly demonstrated in the last point that an thought that contains an infinite, even a discrete one, is nearly impossible to argue into the end zone of correctness. This common saying proves my point. When an infinite is placed on one end of an argument the opposite must be placed on the other. So, if is 'always gets worse before it gets better' then it 'never gets better'. Since I have seen things get better then obviously this is incorrect. Infinites bug me. Especially how we use them so much to describe things that are not.

Day significance. I have spent so many days in my life completely by myself. Either immersed in a book, surrounded by nature, lost in thought. I was by myself without thinking twice about it. Then when I am alone on Christmas it affects me in the most unexpected ways. Is this minute any different that the minutes in the past? I am a different person but is my state the same? Is my environment the same? The day is the difference and this difference causes emotions. It was weird to me at first. Then I started to think, 'What would I do any other day that I am alone?' Read, write, watch TV, jog, think, game. After doing these the day still had significance and still caused these emotions. Think it was the bad TV shows or something more?

Matching volume, sound for sound. One of the great speakers that I have the privilege to listen to did the most incredible thing the other day. The talk went for more than an hour. Then a video break occurred. The crowd couldn't gather back its focus. Small conversations were popping up every where. People started rustling their purses and umbrellas in preparation of their departure. I was doing it too. He was speaking into a microphone. So, I could still hear him and so could everyone else. I mean why not?
Then he did it. He paused for a moment and then began to talk very softly. Instantly the rustling stopped. The conversations halted. The silence was incredible. I believe a baby even stopped bellowing its demon evoking screeches.
I have never seen this approach before, especially in public speaking. Talking softer so that people can hear you better. I believe that there are two other paths here. He could have attacked it directly and said, "Please pay attention to me for five more minutes." Or he could have tried to beat us at our own game and just gotten louder and louder. These are the two approaches I have seen many times. Neither of which seem to work very well.
Take this as deep down the fox hole as you wish. Personally I am taking it down a long philosophy hole that seems to apply to economics, war, approach, and communication on its basic levels. Maybe the best approach is the opposite because it causes the same reaction as your action?

Good thing... bad thing... both? Events in my life seem so dynamic. For instance, moving into this apartment. Right now it seems like the right thing to do. But let us just say that in a week a place crashes into my bedroom as I am sleeping at night. Well then we all see that it was a bad thing to do. Hence the saying, "Hindsight is 20/20".
Jumping back to a previous post about how 'looking is seeing', keeping an open eye to the world to see these decisions or things is important. Seeing these decisions or things is the first step.
The second step is determining if the decision or thing is 'bad' or 'good'. I take comfort in my decisions because I trust myself. I trust that I made the best choice that I could with the information that I had at the time. So this becomes a non-issue.
The "Hindsight is 20/20" saying is so great because there is so much truth in it but I still think not enough. What if after the plane crash killed me a little kid needed my heart and it was still usable. The kid gets it and has a long and fulfilling life? Now it was a good choice again? Perhaps the saying should go more like, "Nothing is ever 20/20". I think that things don't just switch one time but are instead constantly teetering between the two. Switching back and forth at a moments notice, without notice. Sometimes even seemingly without cause. Being prepared and open to this change is the third and most important step. These changes will occur without your consent or control. Kind of upset? Seek balance and that too will change.

No comments: