Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Dancing with people

Some of my friends have never enjoyed dancing. Now that I really sit and think about it, I have a few that I have never seen dance. One of the things that I have said in the past to try and convince someone to dance is, "what makes you good is that you are out there (on the dance floor)." Obviously there are different levels of coordination but when it comes to what 'dance' is, just go for it. Dance = excited movement that is compelled by a larger source. For instance: "the boats danced on the waves as the storm rolled through". Or, "he danced". Being compelled to make movements by an emotion. I see this as being one of the best forms of communication to show who you are. this is clearly visible in small children. Some wobble, some bounce, and some just clap. All show their true emotion naturally funneled into physical movements; not confined by certain dance steps. [To cover the professional dancers tat read this, small chance that any read this but just in case, I am not saying that dances to steps cannot have emotion because they can.]

In my life I find myself dancing this very choreographed dance with people. This dance of relationship involves tempering myself and 'looking cool' in order to keep them dancing with me. At times I even tire solely at the thought of having to do this dance. When this occurs, I don't even get onto the dance floor. Sometimes I tell myself to dance my dance, the type of dance that I would when I was a little kid and completely be myself. Then everyone gets scared and stops dancing besides my two best friends that I have been on the floor with since 5th grade. I don't want to temper myself because I feel like I am not being truly me, but also at the same time these fine tuned movements are part of my growth. Not only in knowing the steps but the physical ability to perform them. Where does growth in this arena of relationships begin? Where do you begin to lose yourself and start to handle people instead of connect with them? I do not know either. What I do know is that I like the way I dance.

See you out on the floor.

No comments: