Monday, December 10, 2007

Responsibility by Capability

Responsibility and how we feel about it have an interesting relationship. I have attempted to shorten this to 'Responsibility by Capability'. I have found that we usually analyze the capability and then determine our feeling off of that.

Examples:

I have an apartment by myself. A person comes over for dinner. The next day I have to do all the dishes by myself. I am fine with that because it isn't the guest's responsibility to do the dishes. I actually don't even think about why they didn't wash them. I just wash them because it is my responsibility.

I have an apartment with a flatmate. This person is very artistic but does not have the technical ability to change the channel on the television. I will not ask them to fix the computer. Even if we both use it. It is just as much their responsibility as mine but they do not have the capability to fix it.

/Examples

If the responsibility is not there then naturally the responsibility is not expected to be fulfilled. If the capability is lacking then the responsibility is still not expected to be fulfilled. The issue occurs when both the responsibility is there and capability to fulfill that responsibility are both present. We logically conclude that the person should fulfill the responsibility and then become upset when it is not. Currently I incorrectly estimate people's capabilities. Also, I assign responsibilities to people which they do not assign to themselves. Believe it or not some flatmates do not think that it is ever their responsibility to ever do any dishes. Communication on these two points will make every close relationship run smoother. After the understanding of responsibilities and capabilities is in place, decisions can be made regarding the other with minimal consequence. A large part then runs like a well oiled machine.

No comments: