Friday, August 10, 2007

Missing out?

With an average blinking time of 500ms and an average interval of 4 seconds, I have my eyes closed for two hours a day. A few years ago I came up to a red light that had this flashes strobe light at the top to grab the driver's attention. After sitting at the light for a while the passenger said, "I really don't like that." Confused I asked what they were talking about. Then they pointed out the flashing strobe. So, I looked directly at it intently and it flashed. I jumped a little bit and saw spots for a few seconds. How could I have had driven up and then sat there for 5 seconds without noticing? What happened was that I was blinking at the exact interval that the strobe was flashing. So I didn't even notice the world around me getting brighter.

How much do you think you miss a day by blinking? How much do you miss a day by not being mindful and paying attention? Keep your eyes open.

No comments: