Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Monopoly

is a good game but I hate it. One, it takes too long; I have yet to fully finish a game in my life. Secondly, 'Chance' throws a huge wrench in this otherwise fun intellectual challenge. Not the chance that is involved in throwing the dice, which I have conceded is a necessary evil. What I am talking about is any layer of Chance that is stacked onto of that chance of rolling the dice. In Monopoly, there is a location called 'Chance' that can either throw you in jail, take all of your properties, and make you play the rest of the game fully unclothed OR you gain so many hotels on properties that anyone who lands on them goes bankrupt until they go around the board and land on them again. Even still, no one can win. With two good players playing, the board becomes split in half with hotels on all lots and these two will continue rolling into the night until one passes out.
Hence why I do not enjoy the game called 'Life' (irony abounds) because it is pretty much all Chance with a few choices thrown in at the very beginning to get you suckered into playing.
Chance is such an interesting phenomenon. Like gravity, we have a name for it and know attributes of it but cannot explain why it happens. One of the attributes that we interestingly know about it is that it is random. Which doesn't help me much in anticipating it. To me it is two doors that appear out of thin air that cause extremes in emotion. I am either allowed to walk through one door and have extreme happiness, I am forced through the other door to extreme sadness, or I run away from both and end up wondering 'what could have been'. So here I am living my happy life and then out of seemingly no where; Chance happens. Throwing my living into these emotions which are so intense that I feel physically tired. One time though, I will be able to walk through that good door and all will be right.

No comments: