Monday, April 30, 2007

Decisions

Isn't it awesome when you are in a place in your life where the decisions you have to make are important but not critical? Like for instance, tonight I had to choose whether to go to the Braves game or to watch 24. It was a hard choice and it was an important choice because every minute you are alive, that is where you are. You impact your surroundings and change the experience of everyone you come in contact with. Time is not only money but a gift and a powerful one at that. Part of me feels like I might be wasting my time here, typing this blog, but I also think that it is important to spend a few minutes with myself. An interesting thing was said the other day by Daron. "To some of you I did not exist until today, but guess what, I have always existed to myself." I get so wrapped up in my own life that when I have a need that isn't filled by someone I say to myself, "I can't believe that they wouldn't do that." The funny thing is I still think that even if I don't say anything as if I expect them to know what I am thinking or feeling. Also, when I see someone with a need, I let it slide and justify it by thinking, "oh it is just a normal day and I don't feel comfortable reaching out." Even still making it about me, when in reality that moment is important to both of us. It is not just a normal day or a normal moment. It might possibly be the last time I ever see that person. Why let fear, discomfort, jealousy, or laziness ever keep you from interacting with someone when you realize that every moment is this important.
Well that was a tangent if I have ever read or typed one. Anyway, I had a busy day at work the drove straight from work to the MARTA station to go to the Braves game with Amy, Lindsay, and Dustin. (Pictures will come linked on my flickr soon) We were hanging out in the stands with our $6 tickets just having a good time. Eating peanuts and enjoying the sights, sounds, and emotions of the afternoon. Then it is tied 2 points each in the top of the 9th with the Phillies at bat... our new pitcher is throwing heat. (honestly in the 93mph range [150kmph for the metric people out there]) The strongest part of the Philly lineup is at bat. He gets two to line out to first base and then, with a full count, strikes out the last batter. So the Braves are up to bat with Kelly Johnson, Edger Renteria, and Chipper Jones in the lineup. Johnson line drives to left for a single. Renteria hits a slow blooper to third and they get Johnson at second but don't get the double play. Chipper comes up to bat and defends the plate with skill. Fighting off two foul balls and working from behind in the count to make it full. The pitch comes, Renteria bolts for second... He is safe because the hit and run play never happened, Chipper was walked. So we have Braves on 1st and 2nd with only 1 out. Andruw Jones comes to the plate. [sidetrack]: At the 9 and a half inning mark as the Braves were getting ready for thier last at bat, the screen plays a movie of a game in 2000 when the Braves rallied in the bottom of the 9th to tie and then Andruw Jones hit a walk off homer to win it. Then it ended with, "He was the hero then, can he do it again?" Andruw comes to the plate. The crowd is screaming already... 1st pitch was a fastball strike... the fans soften a bit. Then we all hear the sound we are hoping for: crack. That sound a wooden bat makes when the core of the ball is compressed and jetisons off the bat like a rocketship to the stars. I looked up and lost the ball in the lights but I knew by the sound alone that it was gone. Andruw did do it again.

3 run walk off homerun to end a great game and a great night out with some friends.

No comments: