Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Bad Day Entitlement

This blog has been written and rewritten many times over because I feel so strongly about this that I cannot seem to put it into words.

When a person feels entitlement, then I feel that there is an issue. Entitlement in the sense of that someone feels that that deserve or have the right to something over someone else. Or even that they should have the right to do something because of what someone else has done.

I am coming to figure out that my issue is not with people actually having entitlement it is an acquired entitlement because of the actions of someone else with which I have my issue.

To talk to the 'assuming undeserving' (which is myself at time): we need to gain perspective. No more feelings of entitlement because of what someone has done to us, how bad of a day we have had, or otherwise.

I have seen too many unhealthy relationships where one party makes a mistake and now the other feels entitled to make transgressions now as long as it isn't as bad as what the other did. Example: "Why are you getting mad at me for lying to you when you lied and cheated?" One person's actions should not change your own standards. Comparison between people is one of the worst phenomenon to plague mankind. Comparison should only be between yourself in the past, yourself now, and where you want yourself to be in the future.

Also, when we begin to have a bad day, we feel this sense of entitlement. "Everyone should be nice to us because we are having a bad day." A complete loss of perspective. Even when we are in this 'bad day state' we still impact everything around us. We still are blessed. What? You think not? Your breathing, right?

No comments: