Thursday, May 15, 2008

Tick Tock

Today I am wondering what makes me tick. Is it repetition, conditioning, or something else? [20 minutes pass] Just now I have determined yet again that it is the small things in the day that cause me to get up and do it again. [10 minutes later] I just wrote an entire post and deleted it because I believe that I have written about it before.

How many times have I needed to reiterate ideas, thoughts, convictions, purpose, and conclusions to myself? Many times over and over. Is this a doubt in and of myself? Is it a healthy cycle of questioning the correct items? Perhaps, the growth cycle seems large but is slow moving forward. Is it that the thought doesn't sink into my subconscious and is forgotten?

Time for me to get over myself. I have a feeling that about 80,000 people are probably dead in China from the earthquake. I have a feeling that 100,000 people are dead or are going to die in Myanmar (Burma) but that the military junta is hiding it. Even more unknown number in Darfur are suffering daily. How small and also how large each life is valued.

"A single death is a tragedy, are million deaths is a statistic." - Stalin
I'd like to rewrite this now, "A single death is a tragedy, are million deaths is a atrocity." I say "atrocity" because many times the million can be avoided and limited. So much death that happens day to day could be avoided. What am I doing?
First, I am trying to share my ideas and values because movements start with beliefs on a subject.

Give money for Myanmar.

Both Oxfam and Triangle Generation Humanitaire (TGH) are doing great things all over. Personally, I believe these two NGOs are making the largest impact of the Darfur situation and in the refugee camps in Chad. Water is still the biggest need.

Go to Oxfam's volunteer page.

Live healthy; which includes helping people.

2 comments:

Graham said...

Thanks for the thoughts and the links. I'm going to go check out those organizations.

Anonymous said...

What's crazy, Ben, is that the city that got rocked by the earthquake in China was Chengdu. Chengdu is where Heather and I are leading a group the last two weeks of July. I am convicted more than ever that this is where we are supposed to go and help. Thanks for caring about the world. It is so easy to only get lost in our world and those that we come into consistent contact with on a daily basis. I pray daily that God will open my eyes to what he sees and that I will care more about the world and those who I don't even know.